Sport, Leisure and Pastimes

Topic has 62 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Tour de France

😂😂 like a bloke I spoke to last year at the team time trial who had booked a hotel in a town on his journey back from holiday in Spain with his wife. They awoke to find themselves unintended prisoners...
Unlike you, they seemed untroubled.
I dislike most sports and feel like you do about them, but enjoy the tour. Each to their own.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

YCCMB wrote:
😂😂 like a bloke I spoke to last year at the team time trial who had booked a hotel in a town on his journey back from holiday in Spain with his wife. They awoke to find themselves unintended prisoners... Unlike you, they seemed untroubled. I dislike most sports and feel like you do about them, but enjoy the tour. Each to their own.

We weren't going back from a holiday, just a duty family visit.

I was going back to my work in Algeria, which took at least 4 1/2 days from the UK in the late 1960's, when there were no Autoroutes, and we usually had to stop in the hottest part of the day.

I'm afraid it put me off any possible interest in the sport for life.

They don't/didn't even put any signs up.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Look on the bright side: at least you didn't have to fly with Air Algérie..😂
   Report   Reply Quote

YCCMB wrote:
Look on the bright side: at least you didn't have to fly with Air Algérie..😂

They were an OK airline in the late 60's - they had French pilotsWink [;-)]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Report   Reply Quote

My later experiences weren't too special. Still, in fairness, I've experienced worse.
   Report   Reply Quote

Its a strange spectator sport. A bit like motor sport circuits.

You position yourself on a small section of the route and wait for ages until loads of people flash past in seconds - then its over.

Without commentators you have no clue about what is going on.

Why don't they just have circuits away from public roads.

Horse racing was taken of public routes a long time ago.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

richard51 wrote:
Its a strange spectator sport. A bit like motor sport circuits. You position yourself on a small section of the route and wait for ages until loads of people flash past in seconds - then its over. Without commentators you have no clue about what is going on. Why don't they just have circuits away from public roads. Horse racing was taken of public routes a long time ago.

For once I agree with you.

Le Mans is useless without the radio commentary.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine