French Language

Topic has 661 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

So, how do you say au cas où?

Now I am generally quite good at making les petites liaisons when it is elegant or obligatoire to do so.  With this phrase, all my friends and neighbours say au cas où and that is therefore what I say and I am easily understood.

However, I met a man today who said au ca zoù.  I asked him whether that was the way it should be said.  He told me it depended on which part of France you are from as to how you say it.  And here in the south-west, I prompted him?

He laughed and said that in the south-west, we pay little attention to things like that and not to accent either.  Yes, yes, I can hear many of you saying, it doesn't bloody matter.  But I am a student of the language and these types of little details hold endless fascination for me.

Tell me, then, what do YOU say or, more importantly, what do your friends and associates say?

Ericd, what do YOU say?Smile [:)]

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote

Nimty, did you manage to find the little book I suggested? I am waiting for my little bird to get back from sailing the seas so we can play a parlour game based on the expressions.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

The site forvo.com is good for hearing the pronunciation of these phrases and gives both pronunciations though they seem a little slow.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I say 'en ca ou' with no "z".
I have never heard it with...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Since reading your replies, Wooly and Norman, I did a bit of googling and the following is quite illuminating:
https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/au-cas-o%C3%B9-le-cas-%C3%A9ch%C3%A9ant-liaison.552314/

What I think the most elegant way to do it is to say au cas où if you are beginning a sentence with it (followed by a phrase) or to say au ca zou if you are ending a sentence.  And, indeed, the man I spoke to used it at the end of his sentence, if I remember correctly.

Makes a change for me to speak to a well-spoken man instead of exchanging friendly banter with friends and neighbours.

Wools, I found that book but I think it might be a bit too "difficult" for me.  I do have a box of cards which is in the form of a game with French expressions which a French friend gave me a couple of years ago.  If only I could find where I have put it for safe-keeping.................Blush [:$]

Report   Reply Quote

Surely he is just pronouncing the silent "s" and not a Z?

I think that I have heard it pronounced at the end of a sentence, next time I hear it spoken it will sonner une cloche with me!!

Report   Reply Quote

Chance, of course, a single "s" sounds like a "z".  Two ss's however would sound like an English "s": un désert and un dessert.

I used a "z" to reproduce the sound correctly, that's all.

Report   Reply Quote

Hello all. Just reading post.

Au cas ou (with accent grave on the "u"). Pronounce "au ca-z-ou".
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine